Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Big thoughts on electronic resource management and licensing

One of the best things about this course and electronic resource management is that no matter what we are studying, we are learning about something that is happening in the library world right this second. I found it really invigorating to feel like what I was learning in class was extra, super relevant to what is happening around us. Etextbooks and ebooks, preservation, "just-in-time" collection development strategies, ereserves and Georgia State...all of these are examples of things that are happening now. I found that no matter where I looked, I was reading something very current and new--in blogs, The Chronicle of Higher Education, or journal articles to support my papers and presentations.

I find that notion really exciting. I am personally very interested in getting people connected to information--that was my inspiration for going to library school in the first place. Eresources are a great way of doing just that--they are convenient and easily accessed from the patron's perspective. But they come with so many thorny issues, like how to keep track of them, how to you get the right licenses, what can you do with them, how do you preserve them, etc. I see it as a really interesting challenge for libraries. How do we make the best of the advantages and limitations of eresources? I think that I am much better prepared to work with eresources in the future after having taken this course, and am not only familiar with what they are but am able to think critically about what they can and can't do for libraries. Who knows...I just might be an eresource librarian in the making!

No comments:

Post a Comment